Monday, April 26, 2010

Patience with Potty Training

But the fuit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:22

"Lord, when will my child ever be potty trained?" That's the question I've been praying these days. Why did you other moms not tell me that this is such a battle? First off, there is this pressure of "don't let your kid be the last one his age to be potty trained." My first goal was to potty train him while I was on maternity leave. Ummm....yea right! That was the craziest thing I ever thought of so I decided to wait for warmer weather. Well guess what...the warmer weather is here, we have started and there is no turning back! I kept saying, "I just don't want two in diapers". Well I have soon discovered that keeping a child in diapers is much easier then having to run to the potty every 10 minutes. Then you have to make the bathroom easily accessible which means every time I turn around he's either washing his hair or his cars in the toilet. Which brings me to my second prayer, "Lord, are you sure you wanted me to have boys?" Just the memory of him doing it grosses me out! But I'm his mom and this is all part of it.

Oh, how patient our heavenly Father is with me. So many times I think I've learned from my mistakes and then there I go again. But He never gives up on me! Just like with my two year old...I don't really care how many accidents he has. He's my child and I'm going to love him no matter what! This is just a lesson for me in being patient with the one I love. I might as well get used to it after all; I have a feeling God's going to be using my little guy to teach me patience for many years to come :)

And thanks to all those moms that tell me "Don't worry! He won't go to college wearing diapers." Your right...its just going to take a little time and patience.



2 comments:

  1. I started potty training my oldest boy right before he turned three and literally just weeks after I had my second son. It took a good LONG 6 months or more but luckily my second son was a breeze to potty train thanks to watching big brother all the time. He basically trained himself at around 26 months old and in just TWO WEEKS! Just keep that in mind also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potty training for girls is essentially the same as for boys but by using a little "inside information", you can help your little girl cooperate more fully with the potty training process and reach success sooner. Using your daughter's "natural bent" can help her connect even faster with toilet training. Susan.N

    ReplyDelete